Tables in Word Processor
A table is made up of rows and columns of cells. Information is written in the cells. Tables are used in a document to organize information into rows and columns. They are used to align numbers in cells, Sort and perform calculations on numbers and create page layouts and arrange text and graphics.
Creating a Table in Microsoft Word
A table can be created in one of the following three ways:
- Using Insert Table icon
- Using Draw table tool
- Using Table drop-down menu
However, using Table menu for inserting a table is the easiest of all the methods. To add a table from Table menu follow the steps given below:-
- Place the insertion point in the document where the table is to be inserted.
- From Table drop-down menu, click Insert and select Table. Insert Table dialog box will be displayed. Type number of columns of the table in the Number of columns box. Similarly, type number of rows of the table in the Number of Rows box. Select any of the given options to specify Auto Fit behavior.
- Click Auto Format. A number of pre-defined table formats will be displayed. Select an appropriate formatting and click OK to apply the format to the table.
- Click OK button to close the dialog box and insert table.
Inserting Rows and Columns in a Table
The Insert sub-menu in the Table menu is used to insert cells, rows and columns in a table.
Inserting Rows in a Table
To insert a new row in a table:
- Place cursor in the row before or after which a row is to be added.
- From Tables menu select Insert and click Rows Above or Rows Below.
For example, if a row is to be added below the selected row, then select Rows Below.
Inserting Columns in a Table
To insert a new column in a table:
- Place cursor in the column before or after which a column is to be added.
- From Tables menu select Insert and click Columns to the Left or Columns to the Right.
For example, if a column is to be added to the left of the selected column, then select Columns to the Left.
Moving and resizing a table
To change the size of a table:
- Place the pointer on the table until the table re-size handle appears on the lower-right corner of the table.
- Move the pointer on the table-re-size handle until a double-headed arrow appears.
- Drag the table re-size handle to change the size of the table.
To move an entire table in the document:
- Place the pointer on the table until the table-move handle appears on the upper-left corner of the table.
- Move the pointer on the table move handle until a four-headed arrow appears.
- Click and drag the table to the new location.